Self image is everything. So many beautiful people in this world find themselves unhappy, and unsatisfied due to the image they hold of themselves. It’s a sad, but true, reality in the society that we live in. This holds especially true for women. From the time we are young, we are taught by the television and the world around us a definition of beauty that more than 80% of us will never achieve, and the other 20% will still not feel is adequate.
What if someone changed that perspective, before it marinated in? What if, as a little girl, we were taught we were beautiful…. and believed it? It isn’t enough just hearing it from parents. What if the world around us embraced our individual and unique beauty to the point where we are soo encompassed in this vision that no one or no situation alone can deter our thoughts of positivity and self-love?
I want to provide that for my little girl.
That’s why I decided to partner with American Girl.
I’ve been a fan of American Girl dolls since I was a little girl. While that wasn’t all THAT long ago… times are undoubtedly much different than then. When I was young, finding a baby doll to match my light brown skin and kinky roots wasn’t any easy task. Different tones and hair textures weren’t embraced, and I soon found that even dolls marketed to match my ethnicity looked nothing like me.
Then, my mother discovered American Girl. The dolls that allowed you to pick the skin tone, eye color, and hair texture. I read books about Addy Walker, a brave and courageous young girl escaping slavery to find her mother and daughter.
And I fell in love.
No longer was the hurt and pain of my race’s journey being swept under the rug. No longer was I made to feel that the ideal of beauty just didn’t match my features. Instead, Addy taught me to embrace those struggles and bumps along the road.
She was realistic.
She was brave.
She was mine.
Flash forward to today, and American Girl is still taking the time to promote self awareness and confidence in girls. We were fortunate to receive a Bitty Baby for Cyanne, as she begins this journey into the big world.
The Bitty Baby doll is a baby doll designed for ages 3+. It’s 3 inches smaller than the original American Girl dolls, and designed for younger girls who love to nurture and play mommy to their “baby”. Like the original dolls, the bitty baby allows you to pick your dolls eye color, skin, and hair texture. Cyanne’s is medium brown with brown eyes and dark brown textured hair…. just like her.
The Bitty Baby, like other American Girl dolls, also comes with a book titled “Bitty Baby and Me” that tells the story of a little girl and her Bitty Baby. The book includes a parents guide that discussed child development and gives tips for story telling.
Speaking of stories, we’re heading to the American Girl store today for a personal tour, and Bitty Baby and Me story time. I can’t wait to take note of all the awesome accessories, furniture and more that are there. Stay tuned!
Which American Girl character is your favorite?Disclosure: I received product in exchange for my honest opinion. All thoughts are my own.